The National Film Awards, instituted by the Government of India, serve as a prestigious recognition of outstanding contributions to the Indian film industry. The 6th National Film Awards held in 1959 marked a significant moment in Indian cinema, honoring remarkable talents and showcasing exceptional films from across the country.
What is 6th National Film Awards?
The 6th National Film Awards ceremony held in 1959 was a celebration of the ever-evolving Indian film industry. It recognized the dedication and innovation of filmmakers, actors, and other artists who contributed to the diverse world of cinema.
Award Categories and Winners
Here’s a list of some prominent award categories and their winners from the 6th National Film Awards:
|Best Feature Film
|Do Aankhen Barah Haath
|Director: V. Shantaram
|Best Non-Feature Film
|Director: S. Sukhdev
|Best Feature Film (Bengali)
|Director: Ritwik Ghatak
|Best Feature Film (Marathi)
|Director: Raja Paranjape
|Do Aankhen Barah Haath
Notable Films and Artists
The 6th National Film Awards brought attention to several remarkable films and artists:
- Do Aankhen Barah Haath: Directed by V. Shantaram, this film stood out for its exceptional direction and storytelling.
- Nagarik: Directed by Ritwik Ghatak, this Bengali film portrayed the struggles of a common man with poignant realism.
- Baiju Bawra: Bharat Bhushan’s portrayal in this film earned him the Best Actor award, highlighting his acting prowess.
- Do Badan: Simi Garewal’s powerful performance in this film garnered her the Best Actress award, showcasing her talent.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the National Film Award?
The National Film Awards are prestigious honors presented by the Government of India to recognize outstanding contributions to Indian cinema.
2. Who won the Best Director award in the 6th National Film Awards?
V. Shantaram won the Best Director award for his remarkable work in “Do Aankhen Barah Haath.”
3. Which film won the Best Feature Film award in Bengali?
The film “Nagarik,” directed by Ritwik Ghatak, won the Best Feature Film award in the Bengali category.
4. Who were the notable actors awarded in the 6th National Film Awards?
Bharat Bhushan received the Best Actor award for his role in “Baiju Bawra,” and Simi Garewal won the Best Actress award for her performance in “Do Badan.”
5. How did “Do Aankhen Barah Haath” stand out in the awards?
“Do Aankhen Barah Haath” stood out for its exceptional direction and storytelling, earning V. Shantaram the Best Director award.
The 6th National Film Awards of 1959 were a testament to the diverse and evolving landscape of Indian cinema. Through its recognition of exceptional films and talented artists, the awards continued to inspire and elevate the industry to new heights.